Meany goal seals John the Baptist Hospital place in Harty Cup last eight

Three first-half goals had kept Our Lady’s, Templemore ahead for much of the hour
Meany goal seals John the Baptist Hospital place in Harty Cup last eight

Owen Meany, John the Baptist CS, Hospital breaking past Jack Marnell and Michael Cahill, Our Ladys Secondary School, Templemore in their TUS Dr Harty Cup preliminary quarter-final match in Fethard, Co Tipperary. Picture Dan Linehan

Harty Cup preliminary quarter-final: John the Baptist CS 3-21 Our Lady’s, Templemore 3-17 

A stoppage-time goal from Owen Meany sealed John the Baptist Community School’s progression to the Harty Cup quarter-finals after a seesawing battle at Fethard Town Park.

Hugh Murnane took his goal-scoring streak to four in three games with a brace, while Diarmuid Hurley was outstanding when switched into a roaming role and finished with six points.

Three first-half goals had kept Our Lady’s, Templemore, ahead for much of the hour, with Jamie Ormond (1-9) and Ciarán O’Shea (1-3) leading their charge.

John the Baptist had earned their place at this stage by producing a storming 1-8 to 0-1 finish against Carrick-on-Suir CBS to top their group. Back at Fethard again, they manufactured a 1-7 to 0-1 burst between the 45th and 56th minutes to put them in a winning position they wouldn’t let slip.

It means the Hospital school have matched the quarter-final appearance from their last Harty Cup campaign back in 2019.

Both teams entered having conceded four goals in their last outing and they each raised green flags in the opening quarter.

Murnane stitched the sliotar to the net with a venomous swing to open up a four-point lead in the 10th minute, having been set up by Hugh Flanagan, but Our Lady’s were level when Ormond’s long-range free was turned over the line by Seán Stapleton.

John the Baptist could’ve had more but for Hurley being denied three times; twice by Mikey Ryan saves and once by a Tom Corcoran block.

It was Our Lady’s who would add the next major and it originated from the same source. This time, Ormond’s 18th-minute free from inside his own half travelled all the way and was spilled across the goalline.

John the Baptist were level within two minutes as Flanagan robbed the sliotar for a point followed by another from Charlie Cronin. 1-5 to 2-2.

Limerick minor centre-back Seán Casey strode forward for two points but a superb solo goal by O’Shea restored Our Lady’s lead in the 25th minute. He snatched Ryan’s puck-out just inside the 65 and rampaged towards the posts before blasting to the net.

Flanagan caught the subsequent puck-out for Hurley to level again, 1-9 to 3-3, but Our Lady’s ended the stronger.

Ormond had been moved into centre-forward and he finished with back-to-back points for a 3-6 to 1-11 half-time lead.

The two-man inside line of Hurley and Murnane had been causing them all sorts of trouble in the first half but Our Lady’s brought Shay Gleeson back to add solidity and they made the bold move of spurning the spare defender to push up man-on-man.

It paid off with five points on the trot, four from Ormond (two frees) and another from Michael Cahill. A brilliant solo score from O’Shea left them 3-13 to 1-14 ahead with 16 minutes to go.

John the Baptist switched Flanagan inside and brought Hurley out to half-forward and that helped spark them to life.

Murnane’s second goal jump-started the comeback, Flanagan struck the butt of the post with another chance, and Hurley clipped three impressive points to complete the 1-7 surge.

The lead was 2-21 to 3-14 but Our Lady’s struck the next three points to narrow the deficit to one; two from Eoin Boyle and the other by Ormond taking his three-game tally to staggering 2-38.

But just as Our Lady’s had a long-range free drop for a goal, Meany ended it when his 62nd-minute up-and-under from his own 45 was fumbled over the line.

Scorers for John the Baptist CS: O Meany (1-6, 1-5 frees, 0-1 65); H Murnane (2-2); D Hurley (0-6); S Casey, H Flanagan (0-2 each); D Heavey, C Cronin, S Ryan (0-1 each).

Scorers for Our Lady’s, Templemore: J Ormond (1-9, 1-5 frees); C O’Shea (1-3); S Stapleton (1-0); E Boyle (0-2); S Gleeson, M Cahill, J Quinn (0-1 each).

JOHN THE BAPTIST CS: L Costelloe (Hospital-Herbertstown); N McNamara (Pallasgreen), S Treacy (Staker Wallace), M Leo (Knockainey); D Heavey (Garryspillane), S Casey (Bruff), F Leahy (Knockainey); O Meany (Bruff), G McCaffrey (Hospital-Herbertstown); B Callinan (Bruff), H Flanagan (Garryspillane), S Ryan (Garryspillane); C Cronin (Bruff), D Hurley (Hospital-Herbertstown), H Murnane (Caherline).

Subs: J O’Neill (Bruff) for Callinan (46), N Connaughton (Caherline) for McCaffrey (59).

OUR LADY’S, TEMPLEMORE: M Ryan (Loughmore-Castleiney); E Kennedy (Drom-Inch), C Cahill (Drom-Inch), T Burke (JK Brackens); TJ Kinane (Drom-Inch), T Corcoran (JK Brackens), S Gleeson (Moneygall); M Cahill (JK Brackens), J Ormond (JK Brackens); J Marnell (JK Brackens), C O’Shea (JK Brackens), E Boyle (Borris-Ileigh); J Quinn (Loughmore-Castleiney), S Stapleton (Clonakenny), P O’Dwyer (Upperchurch-Drombane).

Sub: K Martin (JK Brackens) for Burke (55).

Referee: J Bugler (Whitegate)

More in this section

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited