Late Madden goal seals Premier Junior crown for St Finbarr's 

The goal was the final score in a late 1-2 salvo that rescued victory from the jaws of defeat for the southside giants.
Late Madden goal seals Premier Junior crown for St Finbarr's 

CHAMPIONS:  St Finbarr's Adrian Murphy celebrates his goal against Kilmurry during the Bon Secours Premier JFC final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Picture; Eddie O'Hare

Bons Secours Cork PJFC final

St Finbarr’s 3-6 Kilmurry 1-11 

A late Cian Madden goal helped St Finbarr’s to the Bons Secours Cork PJFC crown at the expense of Kilmurry in Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Saturday afternoon. The goal was the final score in a late 1-2 salvo that rescued victory from the jaws of defeat for the southside giants. Trailing by 1-11 to 2-4 with five minutes to go, their race seemed to be run. However, inspired by their great servant, Michael Shields, the Barr’s found a way.

Their captain Alan McCarthy, who was excellent throughout, began the late revival with a point from play before Shields, who tormented the Kilmurry rearguard throughout, popped over his only score of the game. A draw might have been on their minds then, but then Ciarán Doolan picked out Madden, who exchanged passes with James Kennefick before finishing cooly to give his side the lead for the first time in the game. Kilmurry searched for the equaliser, but a combination of good defending and excellent possession football saw the Barr’s home.

The city side showed early promise, but it was Kilmurry who proved themselves more clinical. Shields had the game’s opening chance when he was put through by Olan Murphy, but his shot flashed wide, and his side would have two more wides before Joe Ryan put Kilmurry ahead in the 8th minute. Sean Warren extended that advantage with a free before those players combined for the encounter’s opening major, Ryan playing in Warren who finished tidily to give the Muskerry side the perfect start.

The goal emboldened the Barr’s, however, as points from Olan Murphy, Denis O’Brein and the excellent Cian Walsh had them back to within two at the end of the opening quarter. Liam Wall then responded for Kilmurry, and then nothing much happened for 8 minutes. The Barr’s had looked dangerous on the break, with the final pass leaving them down on occasion, but when Shields again found himself through on goal, he passed to Adrian Murphy who levelled the game with a shot into the corner.

Again, it was the side who conceded the goal who responded the better to the goal, as quick points from Ryan and Pádraig Berhanu put Kilmurry 1-5 to 1-3 ahead. Both sides had glorious goal opportunities before the break but Barr’s ‘keeper Colm Keane saved well from Lawerence Aisling while at the other end Jason McDonnell denied Kennefick. That meant that Kilmurry led by two at the break, while the Barr’s were left wondering if the eight wides they had registered might prove costly in the final analysis.

Two became three early in the second half when Wall popped over his second of the game with the aid of the post before Tomás Collins kicked their first wide of the game in the 37th minute. One of the best assets the Togher side had coming into the game was experience, and that experience soon had them level. O’Brien hit Shields with a lovely diagonal ball and the veteran turned and headed for goal. He then passed to Doolan at the perfect time, and Doolan billowed the net to level the game for the second time.

Once again, it was the team that conceded the goal that responded the better as Collins and Wall put Kilmurry back in control. Denis O’Brien halved that deficit before two sensational scores from the outstanding Wall put Kilmurry three clear. When Warren made that four with five to play, that seemed to be that, but then came that late blue burst to break the Kilmurry hearts.

Scorers for St Finbarr’s: A Murphy, C Doolan and C Madden (1-0 each), D O’Brien (0-2, 0-1 free), A McCarthy, O Murphy, C Walsh and M Shields (0-1 each) 

Scorers for Kilmurry: S Warren (1-2, 0-1 free), L Wall (0-5), J Ryan (0-2, 0-1 free), T Collins and P Berhanu (0-1 each).

ST FINBARR’S: C Keane; M Russell, D Byrne, J Kennefick; A McCarthy (c), A Lyne, C Steele; E Comyns, C Doolan; D O’Brien, C Walsh, F Crowley; O Murphy, M Shields, A Murphy.

Subs: E Keane for A Murphy (h/t), J Murphy for Crowley (h/t), C O’Sullivan for McCartht (blood, 43 – 45), C Madden for Comyns (45), C O’Sullivan for O Murphy (50), C Buckley for Byrne (62).

KILMURRY: J McDonnell; B Hinchion, K Barrett, W Ronan (c), T Collins, G O’Mahony, D Cahalane; K Kelleher, J O’Mullane; L Wall, L Aisling, A Aisling; S Warren, J Ryan, P Berhanu.

Subs: R Duggan for Cahalane (41), R Leahy for Berhanu (inj, 48), J O’Mullane for A Aisling (61) 

Referee: Justin Murphy (Castletownroche).

A collection of the latest sports news, reports and analysis from Cork.

More in this section

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited